To read through an individual issue,
- Select a year from the linked list of years provided and then click on the appropriate date. Search results are displayed as a series of thumbnail images that may be browsed, and are also listed by date in the left-hand filter menu.
- Note: the filter menu only shows the first 100 records (days) but all the year's issues are there - you can use the "Go to page __" navigation to find the rest of the issues. You could also use the Search function (top right corner) to search for a particular day or month, i.e. 2011-11* will show you all issues from November 2011, and 2011-11-01* will show you November 1st (but only if there was an issue printed on November 1st - you may want to look up dates via https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/ to make sure your date is not on a weekend, etc.)
- To view a larger image and its corresponding description, click on the thumbnail image. You will see the first page, with links to all the pages on the right. Click on the blue arrow in the top right of the scanned image to open the page in a PDF viewer. You can scan and read each page, moving from one page to another, within the database, but its easier to download the complete issue. To download the complete issue, from the record with all the thumbnails of each page in the issue, look for the download link (icon is a downward-facing arrow) and select All. Then you can read/search it in your own PDF-reading application.
Entering search terms in the box located at the top of the Daily Evergreen landing page will search across the full text of all DE newspapers
The database is so large that its easier to use Advanced Search, especially if you only want to search across a single year/month/date.
- Click on the Advanced Search link at the top of the Evergreen landing page. Make sure you are just searching the Evergreen (WSU Student Newspapers)! If Search All Collections is checked, uncheck it and navigate down to WSU Student Newspapers, click it, and click SAVE.
- Enter your search term, i.e. football in the first search box (it will be searching All Fields)
- Add another row
- Using the drop-down menu, change the field searched for the new search box from All Fields to TITLE (not DATE!!)
- To search the year, type (example) 2011* to be searched as a title and this will search all of 2011 for the word football
- To search a month type 2011-11* to be searched as a title and this will search November of 2011 for the word football
- To search a particular day type 2011-11-01* to be searched as a title (again, making sure there was an issue on that day) for the word football