Designing a Survey
Relevant Agencies & Organizations
- U.S. State Tourism Offices. University of Texas at Austin. State tourism offices provide relevant information on destinations in the state.
- USA Chambers of Commerce. Almost every city has a Chamber of Commerce that promotes business and provides relevant information about the city.
- Local tourism bureau or office will often be the first result on a Google search: [city/area] tourism. These offices provide valuable tourism-related information.
- World Tourism Organization. UNWTO. United Nations agency responsible for the promotion of responsible, sustainable and universally accessible tourism. The site is a rich source of tourism information globally and nationally.
- UNESCO. United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization. Its purpose is to contribute to peace and security by promoting international collaboration through education, science, and culture to further universal respect for justice, the rule of law, and human rights. UNESCO administers the list of World Heritage Sites, places (such as a building, city, complex, desert, forest, island, lake, monument, or mountain) that is designated as being of special cultural or physical significance.
U.S. City Demographic & Economic Statistics
- data.census.gov. U.S. Census Bureau platform that provides data on the U.S. people and economy: population, education, business, employment, health, housing, income and poverty, economy, families and living arrangements, and international trade.
- STATSAMERICA. One-stop destination for economic development data sites and tools at the neighborhood, town, city, region and state levels.
- City-Data.com Provides a detailed profile of every city in the U.S., including economic and demographic information.
- DATA USA. A free platform that allows users to collect, analyze, and visualize shared U.S. government data, including data about states and cities. Data USA is the product of an ongoing partnership between Deloitte, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Macro Connections Group, and Datawheel.
Foreign Country Demographic & Economic Statistics
- UNdata. United Nations. Provides demographic and economic statistics for countries and regions of the world.
- World Bank Open Data. Provides a comprehensive set of data about development in countries around the globe.
Travel & Tourism Statistics
Examples to try:
- [name of city/area] tourism economy
- [name of city/area] tourism statistics
- [name of city/area] tourism "social impact"
- [name of city/area] tourism "environmental impact"
- [name of city] "economic development"
- [name of foreign city] "chamber of commerce"
- [name of foreign city] tourism bureau
Citation Style Quick Guides