This guide was developed at the Graduate School of Business Library, Stanford University. Zina Shapiro graciously agreed to our reusing it at WSU.
Erica Carlson Nicol, WSU Humanities/Social Sciences Librarian & Library Liaison Instruction Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org, is available to assist students and faculty in the College of Communication.
Mary Gilles, WSU Business and Economics Librarian, email@example.com, is available to assist students and faculty in the College of Business and the Department of Apparel, Merchandising, Design, and Textiles.
At the Libraries homepage enter Claritas Segmentation & Market Solutions in the search box and click Search. Click Online access for the first result and then click the hotlink WSU Miscellaneous Databases. On the landing page click Login to Claritas SMS green button.
Claritas Segmentation & Market Solutions is a platform that lets marketers and advertisers analyze markets based on comprehensive Nielsen's consumers' profiles and identify target consumer groups for their products and services.
Index is one of the main results figures in Segmentation Reports. Index signifies the likelihood of occurrence for a certain event or characteristic. The base number for Index is 100. Any value above a 100 means the probability is higher, a number less than 100, shows that the probability is lower.
For example, run the Market Potential Report to evaluate the potential for selling or leasing new cars for $35K+ to population in California and Arkansas [data for 2016]. The index of 68 for Arkansas indicates that the likelihood of selling this type of product in Arkansas is low; the index of 119 for California shows that people in California are likely to buy/lease $35K+ cars.
For detailed explanation on results interpretation in Segmentation Reports, select Help & Learn tab > Help > Reports: Detailed Marketing Analysis and choose the report type.
Create reports using customizable reports' templates.
1. The database opens at a page of reports created by users. Click Create Content tab at top left. Reports are divided into two sections:
• Pop-Facts Demographic Reports - geodemographic consumer data
• Segmentation Reports - data on consumers' lifestyles and behavior patterns
2. Select a report type. (Click the icon to view contents description).
3. Select variables and output format. Use the following tips:
• Optionally, customize Report Name
• Click or hover over the icon next to each field to view its definition
• Select geographic area by any or a combination of any number of geographic segments from available options, e.g. Country, States, Counties, DMA
• In Segmentation Reports, when selecting consumer profiles, for comprehensive listing of Nielsen consumer behavior patterns, select Syndicated Data Source. Search Tip: Use keyword search to find consumers' characteristics. For example, if you do research on wine, enter wine in Search box in Select Profiles section, click Search icon, and that will retrieve all behavioral patterns pertinent to wine.
4. Click Submit when done.
5. Depending on report output format, report may open upon completion, (e.g.Interactive report), or the Report Status window opens, where you can click the report link to open, or click Go to My Content link. The latter opens My Reports window where all reports are automatically saved to the list and stay there for 120 days.
6. Save/Print results. For PDF and Excel files, use the standard methods by selecting an appropriate icon or menu option.
Interactive report format is available for three report types in Segmentation category: Consumer Concentration, Market Potential, and Target Concentration.
• With the report opened, select "view" option from a drop-down list. NOTE: Views selection varies by type of report.
• Select a tab above results to change results presentation, e.g. Show Title, Filter Data, etc.
• Click Export or Save button in top right corner to respectively save the file to your computer or to the folder on My Content page to be shared with other users.
Click My Content tab to open saved reports page.
• All completed reports are automatically saved in My Reports window and stay there for 120 days.
• The tabs in top right corner offer additional options for managing selected reports, such as Rename, Delete, Modify, etc.
• Click Move tab to save report in an existing or ina a new sub-folder under Report Inbox folder in left navigation, for future use or sharing.